Support post-surgery and treatment
At Children First Foundation, we are committed to truly changing the future of the children we help. While our Miracle sMiles program focuses on life-changing medical treatment conducted in Australia, our Back-Home-Support program centeres on the child’s future following successful surgery and treatment.
Together with our generous supporters, we want to ensure that the kids who come through our door have every chance of a bright and positive future. Our Back-Home-Support program specifically enhances the children’s health, education, and welfare opportunities post-treatment.
We aim to see the kids through well into their future. We don’t just wave ‘goodbye’ and hope everything goes ok once the surgeon discharges the child from the Miracle sMiles program or at the airport as they board the plane back home. We work in partnership with children and their families to help them achieve their goals and dreams through our Back-Home-Support program.
Back-Home-Support, areas of assistance
- Health – we can facilitate healthcare needs outside the original treatment/condition (the Miracle sMiles program ensures that our children can continue to access ongoing medication, treatment and other critical supplies related to their original once they return home).
- Education – we can support access to school, university, applied learning, or relevant short training programs.
- Welfare – we can help with the ongoing general welfare of the child and their direct carer.
Who is eligible for support?
Any child who has gone through either our Miracle sMiles or our In-country program after 1 July 2015 are eligible to be considered for Back-Home-Support.
However, they will also need to meet one of the following criteria:
- Be under 18 years of age.
- If over 18 years of age, they must be in full-time education or be within a two-year timeframe of completing either the Miracles sMiles or our In-country program when making an application.
Due to limited funds, this program is based on application. Applications are assessed on several factors including the individuals need, the long-term impact, transparency and the feasibility of the request.
How to apply
For any questions on eligibility and the application process, please email [email protected] and add BHSP in the subject line.
What the Back-Home-Support program does NOT support
The Back-Home Support program does NOT support:
- children who have not received medical treatment through Children Foundation’s Miracle sMiles or In-country Program
- basic living costs
- activities that are not in line with the long-term goals of the child
- activities without evidence of cost
- activities that put the child at risk
- expenditure already incurred.